Tabular deployment errors

Hello,

I was trying to deploy tabular models. I see below errors while deploying a package.
I don’t see any log.txt file generating from the build and pushing to built-in feed.

14:14:34 Verbose | Invoking target script E:\Octopus\Work\20220916191432-185485-108\Script.ps1 with parameters.
14:14:34 Verbose | Setting CurrentDirectory to ‘E:\Octopus\Applications\xxxxxxx\xxxxxx\3.xxxxxx’
14:14:34 Info | Updating E:\Octopus\Applications\xxxxx\xxxxx\3.xxxx\Model.deploymenttargets
14:14:34 Info | Config settings doesn’t exist. Skipping.
14:14:34 Info | Updating E:\Octopus\Applications\xxxxxx\xxxxx\3.xxxxx\Model.deploymentoptions
14:14:34 Info | C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Deployment.exe “E:\Octopus\Applications\xxxxxx\xxxxx\3.xxxxx\Model.asdatabase” /s:“E:\Octopus\Applications\xxxxx\xxxxx\3.xxxxx\Log.txt”
14:14:35 Info | Reading input files…
14:14:35 Info | Error loading E:\Octopus\Applications\xxxxxx\xxxxx\xxxxxx\Model.asdatabase: The string ‘’ is not a valid Boolean value.
14:14:35 Error | NotSpecified: Error: E:\Octopus\Applications\xxxxxx\xxxxx\xxxxxx\Log.txt not found!
14:14:35 Error | At line:1 char:1
14:14:35 Error | + . “E:\Octopus\Work\20220916191432-185485-108\Script.ps1”
14:14:35 Error | + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
14:14:35 Error | at , E:\Octopus\Work\20220916191432-185485-108\Script.ps1: line 125
14:14:35 Error | at , : line 1
14:14:35 Error | at , E:\Octopus\Work\20220916191432-185485-108\Octopus.FunctionAppenderContext.ps1: line 201
14:14:35 Error | at , E:\Octopus\Work\20220916191432-185485-108\Bootstrap.Octopus.FunctionAppenderContext.ps1: line 1765
14:14:35 Verbose | Process C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe in E:\Octopus\Work\20220916191432-185485-108 exited with code 1
14:14:35 Verbose | Updating manifest with output variables
14:14:35 Verbose | Updating manifest with action evaluated variables
14:14:35 Fatal | The remote script failed with exit code 1
14:14:35 Fatal | The action Deploy xxxx from Package on xxxxxx failed

Thanks

Hi @shivadeveloper878,

Thanks for reaching out! I’m sorry you’re running into this particular issue with your tabular models deployment process, but I’m happy to help investigate further.

As a first step in troubleshooting this further, would you be able to upload the full task log for this deployment so I can review it on my side?

Also, could you explain a little bit more about how your deployment process is set up from an architectural perspective? This will give me a better understanding of how you have things set up on your side so I can look into this a little more within my own test environment.

Lastly, would you be able to upload the full task log from your build server so I can compare this against what is happening within Octopus Deploy?

Here is a secure link to upload these files, so you don’t have to share them on the public forum.

Looking forward to hearing back from you,

Britton

Hey Britton,

Thanks for the quick response. I have uploaded both build and deployment logs for easy understanding. Please suggest me any changes if required in build process.
And, also I see one more thing while deploying on to the server _1 is adding end of the package version for the first time, I redeployed same failed package it is creating _2 package. It is incrementing when ever I redeploy same package. Is this common scenario or Did I configured anything wrong.

Thanks

Hi @shivadeveloper878,

Thanks for uploading those files!

In taking a deeper look at the logs and doing some additional testing with a colleague it looks like your process is erroring out at the following line:

14:14:35 Info | Error loading E:\Octopus\Applications\xxxxxx\xxxxx\xxxxxx\Model.asdatabase: The string ‘’ is not a valid Boolean value.

And with that being the case, the process never gets to the point of creating Log.txt, which is why this particular error is thrown afterward:

14:14:35 Error | NotSpecified: Error: E:\Octopus\Applications\xxxxxx\xxxxx\xxxxxx\Log.txt not found!

So the initial error is where I would suggest starting your investigation, as there appears to be an issue with the values being supplied via the file Model.asdatabase.

In checking a sample of this file on my side I did notice that it is populated with some boolean values in the XML, so perhaps one of these entries is malformed in your file.

In regards to your question about the package version incrementing with _1, _2, can you let me know if this is happening when you push the package from your build server to Octopus Deploy each time? If so, you may need to investigate the versioning options that are set within your build server as I do see a _1 present in the package version referenced in the task log you uploaded, and your build server should be providing this initial information.

I hope this helps get things going, but let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Best,

Britton

Thanks Britton. I was providing same values for source server and Source Database , which are already existed in the file whenever model was developed in the local . The same values I’m providing.
The _1 is creating whenever the package is deployed to target server in deployment process not from build to Octopus server.
I uploaded another documents of along with the files.

Hi @shivadeveloper878,

Thank you for the new uploads.

In taking a look at your Model.asdatabase file I didn’t spot any obvious issues, but in doing some additional research I’m wondering if you are running into a datatype mismatch between your database and the Model.asdatabase file - as a next step could you check the types within your model to make sure these are all in alignment? (apologies if you’ve already done this)

For the versioning issue, I’m wondering if you have a custom pattern set under Deployments > Settings in the left-hand menu of the Octopus Server UI which is causing that behavior. I’ll attach our documentation on setting release versioning patterns within Octopus Deploy projects (which also includes different example patterns), but let me know if you have any questions. Let me know if this doesn’t appear to be the source of the issue and we can take a deeper dive into it though.

Regards,

Britton

Hi Britton,

Thanks for the response.

I compared .bim file and .asdatabse files I don’t see any differences. For your reference I uploaded that file too.
For versioning issue, I was using same settings with “Use the version number from an included package” option. It’s picking right version package but while deploying it is adding _1,_2 at the end.

Hi @shivadeveloper878,

Thank you for the updates.

In reviewing this some more this morning I’m wondering if it would be possible for you to remove data elements from your model and bim files one-by-one and deploy them to a test environment to see if we can narrow down on one of the data elements as being the issue. Apologies if this isn’t possible in your current configuration, I’m just thinking this might be a way we eliminate this aspect as being the issue.

Also, it might be beneficial to take a look at the script that’s running behind the Deploy SSAS from Package step template, as you could potentially modify this to capture some additional debugging information:

Lastly, in talking with a colleague on your versioning questions they let me know that this is the default behavior of Octopus Deploy when deploying an identical release to the same deployment target(s).

I hope this additional information helps but let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Best,

Britton

Hey Britton,

Thanks for the support and response. The problem was in the package. Tested with another package worked well. Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi @shivadeveloper878,

You’re welcome, I’m glad you were able to get things sorted!

Hope you have a good rest of your week and happy deployments,

Britton

Hey Britton,

Can we deploy multiple models with one solution, If so what are the extra configurations I need to do.
If not, How can I build and deploy multiple solutions or multiple bim models.

Thanks

Hi @shivadeveloper878,

You could either look into modifying the step template script yourself for this use case, or you could possibly daisy-chain this step template within the same deployment process to accomplish this (I’m not super familiar with this exact step template so you’d need to experiment with it some).

Depending on how complex you’re looking to get you could also implement this as some type of orchestrated project that passes execution from a parent project to separate child projects. This might be more than your use case requires, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best,

Britton

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.