System.Overflow exception from Calamari

Hi Occys’,

We are trying to promote a package from our SIT to UAT environments but we are receiving a System.Overflow exception on the UAT VM. Calamari is not playing nicely and even causing the VM to reboot.

For reference I have attached the RAW output of both the UAT deployment, as well as the successful SIT deployment for comparison. Calamari version is 3.3.5

Can anybody offer any advice as to what would be causing this exception?

Thanks,
Ben

ServerTasks-16045.log.txt (59 KB)

ServerTasks-16041.log.txt (300 KB)

Hi Ben,

Thanks for reaching out.

I’ll need to see the Tentacle logs to try to figure out what’s wrong. You can find them on C:\Octopus\Logs on a default install. Also anything you can find on the event viewer at the time of the reboot will help.

Have you tried uninstalling the Tentacle on that machine and re-installing it?

Thanks,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

Thanks for your reply. We have reinstalled the tentacle, but are still encountering the same issue. This tentacle can deploy some projects to this machine, but the project that it’s failing to deploy on this machine does deploy on other boxes. So I don’t think it’s a problem with the Project configuration.

Also, the VM was quite unstable so we have migrated it to a new host.

I have attached the Octopus Tentacle trace which does log out some unhandled exceptions. With regards to the Event Viewer on that server, I am seeing thousands of these entries which I will be working with my support team to resolve:
Login failed for user ‘NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE’. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database ‘RdCms’. [CLIENT: ]

I am not 100% certain the above entries are root cause of the issue however, because we are running the tentacle using a service account credentials not the NETWORK SERVICE account.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
Ben

OctopusTentacle.txt (67 KB)

Hi Ben,

• Is the error on the deployment log always the same one as below?
12:06:44   Error    |         System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
12:06:44   Error    |         at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOExtraField.ParseRecord(BinaryReader reader, ZipIOZip64ExtraFieldUsage zip64extraFieldUsage, UInt16 expectedExtraFieldSize)
12:06:44   Error    |         at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOLocalFileHeader.ParseRecord(BinaryReader reader, Encoding encoding)
12:06:44   Error    |         at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOLocalFileBlock.ParseRecord(BinaryReader reader, String fileName, Int64 position, ZipIOCentralDirectoryBlock centralDir, ZipIOCentralDirectoryFileHeader centralDirFileHeader)
12:06:44   Error    |         at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOBlockManager.LoadLocalFileBlock(String zipFileName)
12:06:44   Error    |         at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.GetFile(String zipFileName)
12:06:44   Error    |         at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.GetFiles()

That stackoverflow makes me think something bad Is going on in that VM overall.

• Is this still happening after you moved your VM to a new host?

• Is it always happening when trying to push that package to that machine?

• Can you try running the Tentacle process using your own user account just to test if this might be related to that account somehow not having enough permissions?

Thanks,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. It was definitely a problem with the VM. We have rebuilt a new machine for that environment and can deploy via Octopus with no hassles.

Cheers,
Ben