Synchronize external security groups not working correctly

Hi Octopus team,

Synchronize external security groups not working correctly.
We have group in ActiveDirectory: Octopus_users.
This group include Octopus users with permission to projects.
By default every users in domain are able to login to Octopus (Have permissions to Everyone Team only, not see projects).

Two scenarios ( step by step):
First scenario:

1. Add user1 to ActiveDirectory: Octopus_users (give permissions to projects).
  2. Login user1 to Octopus
  3. Permissions working fine, user1 is assigned to Everyone and has permissions to projects

Second scenario:

1. Login user2 to octopus - working fine, are able to login, has access only to Everyone team.
  2. Add user2 to ActiveDirectory: Octopus_users.
  3. Log off user2
  4. Re-run Sync External Security Groups by administrator.
  5. Sync External Security Groups task finished success with info: ā€˜Updating external security groups via GroupRetrieverā€¦No update required.ā€™
  6. Login user2 to octopus - are able to login, has access only to Everyone team. IT IS NOT GOOD, SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE PROJECTS, IS MEMBER OF ActiveDirectory: Octopus_users. GROUP, OCTOPUS NOT SEE THIS CHANGES.

Installed Octopus 2019.10.0

What we should do ?

Regards,
Thomas Wojtowicz

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support.

Judging by the problem you are having and the version you are currently running, it looks like you may be affected by this bug that was patched in 2019.10.4+.

I would suggest updating Octopus to either 2019.13.7 (our last .NET Framework version) or our latest 2020.2.16 (.NET Core version). Click the links to view the bug fixes and breaking changes (via the ā€œShow/Hideā€ buttons) from your current version.

For convenience, here is the download page for our releases.

If you have any more questions or run into any trouble, feel free to reach out. Weā€™re happy to help. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Donny

Hi donny.bell,

Upgraded to 2020.1.8. Now looks good, issue has been fixed.
Thank you.

Regards,
Thomas Wojtowicz

1 Like

Hi Thomas,

Iā€™m glad to hear the issue is resolved.

If there is anything else I can assist with please let me know. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Donny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.