Suggestion: Sensitive Variables - add a role to view/edit

I understand from documentation and forum questions that sensitive variables cannot be shown once they are saved. I suggest adding a “Sensitive Variable Editor” role that would allow the user to view and edit sensitive variables. I rank this as a “nice to have”.

Hi Michael,

Sorry that this was caught in spam. This is probably not something we are going to change. Octopus in the case of variables, is the end user. It needs them to do transformations or replacements or connect, but is not in any way a password manager (or should be used as such). You can edit sensitive variables. If you change the value, it will update, you just cannot see what the variable is.

Vanessa

My intent isn’t to use it as a password manager. It’s for debugging when something doesn’t work. If someone could quickly view the password, then you know if it’s right or not. What if IT changed the password and forgot to tell us? Taking a quick peek allows you to see if it’s right or not.

Yes, I know I can get it out in various ways, such as an email; that just takes longer.

Hi Michael,

While we are very set on the opinion that viewing sensitive variables through the UI should not be permitted, apparently that isn’t set in concrete.
I’ve created a UserVoice suggestion around the idea: http://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/8724166-view-sensitive-variables-w-corresponding-permissi
Please go and vote :slight_smile: and we will see where this ends up in the community opinion.

Vanessa