Subscriptions - Trigger when a variable scoped for Production is changed?

Hi -

We’re trying to develop a process that sends a “notification” when a project variable scoped for production changes (not any variable change for the project). The subscription setup seems pretty straight forward:

The test project has variable scoped for production:

I was thinking that edits to the variable would trigger the subscription but in my testing that didn’t occur. Is this possible or does the functionality not work this way.

Thanks.

Hi @ShannonN,

Thanks for reaching out with this great question! Unfortunately, Octopus does not consider the change of a project variable as an ‘Environment’ event, even when it is scoped to an environment. In my instance, the only way I could get project variable changes to trigger my subscription was to remove the environment filter.

If you haven’t taken a look already, you can use the filters in the Audit to verify what is or is not considered a triggering event. For instance, selecting the Production environment in the filter will show you any events that may be sent to your subscription. You can tinker with the different filters until you find a suitable combination you can use for your subscription.

Another nice feature of the audit is the ability to create a subscription from your filtering. Once you find the combination you need, you can select ‘Create subscription from this filter’ which will automatically send you to the subscription creation screen.

Hopefully this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
Dan

Makes sense. Thanks Dan!

@ShannonN

Happy to help! Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help with down the road.

Thanks!
Dan

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.