Subscription - How to get notified when Machine HDD is lower than X GB

Hello,

We noticed recently that our server drive was going below 5GB and we noticed the audit and health checks picked it up but we want to get an email notifying us as well.

I am new to Octopus deploy and just trying the subscription feature and i cannot seem to make it work even when i do the tutorial where they turn off one machine and get a notification. I followed those exact steps and no email was sent. SMTP is set and the test email was sent.

In the diagnostics page under subscription logs it reads “No notifications need to be sent at this time”

All i want to do is get notified when the server HDD goes below an X amount of GB.

Following is the setting to check warnings.

As mentioned i tried turning off the server (so health check would return a fail) and changed the filter in the subscription to Notify whenever Machine is no longer available but that also didn’t send anything.

I possibly am missing a step. Thank you for the assistance.

Hi Apos_k,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your query.

The settings in your screenshot look correct so we may need to investigate this further.

Subscriptions are processed in batches and so it may be that your new subscription changes haven’t yet been picked up. Would you be able to configure a subscription, save it, trigger a suitable event and then wait at least an hour?

• If an e-mail is received after an hour, could you then trigger a new event and see if the e-mail arrives within the specified one minute timeframe?
  • If an e-mail isn’t received after an hour could you please provide a screenshot of the event from the audit/task log and a screenshot of the subscription and e-mail settings?

It’s worth noting that subscriptions will only be used when the event happens (i.e they won’t be sent retrospectively for events that have already happened), so you’ll need to check that a suitable event happens after the subscription is configured.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Charles

Hello Charles,

I think i figured it out now.

So as per original screenshot i have set the “Machine found to have warnings” event category filter. And after changing the machine policy powershell script to check from the 5GB threshold to 25GB (my server drive has 17 spare) the subscription kicked in.

Now the question I have and possibly why it didnt work earlier was that if its in the state where the warning is on for quite a few health checks should it not send me an email every time the health check sees there is a warning? Or does it need to change from having no warning to have a warning to notify me? Apologies if it doesn’t make sense.

Hi Apos_k,

Thank you for getting back to me.

It’s good to hear that this has now worked with a new threshold.

Subscriptions essentially run on a timer, rather than being triggered by an event itself. This is for performance and grouping reasons. This means you might not receive an e-mail for every event depending on when it happens and how your subscription is configured.

An event will only be included in a subscription if it happens after the subscription has been configured and if it hasn’t already been included. This helps to ensure that the same event won’t be included twice. It’s also worth noting that some events may only fire on a change.

I hope this helps to clarify. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Charles

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.