Stuck on "Another deployment-related activity is in progress on this machine"

I get the message: Another deployment-related activity is in progress on this machine (Deploying package PGSA.AppServer.Facade, version 1.0.147); the request has been added to a queue. This is a safety feature to prevent multiple deployments from running at the same time and causing conflicts. To override this behavior, create a project variable with the name ‘OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex’ and a value of ‘True’ and create a new release." when trying to deploy to our 2 app servers in our QA environment.

Deploying to the Test environment works fine. I tried adding the suggested variable, but then it just gets stuck on the retention policy on the same servers. We also tried restarting the servers, but no change. I tried the “Try again” button and also creating a “new release”. Still stuck.

Yesterday when the problem occurred, we did some switching of the user running Octopus Deploy Tentacle service. We now switched it back to the way it was before. We also did some changes on the database on the QA servers. Could any of this have something to do with it? Please help!

Running 2.6.5.1010.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. Having the variable OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex set to true is the correct way to have multiple deployments running at the same time on a Tentacle. You are saying that once you set that variable your deployment hangs running the retention policies? If that is the case, could you provide us with a deployment log of a hanged deployment please? http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Get+the+raw+output+from+a+task

When you say We also did some changes on the database on the QA servers, are you talking about your app’s database or Octopus’ database? I believe you meant yours, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks,

Dalmiro

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

Having multiple deployments at the same time is not our desire, I just put it in to bypass the “error” message. I will provide the deployment log as soon as I get to work tomorrow. For now we have the OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex set to true, and we have alse disabled the retention policy to be able to deploy.

When I mentioned database changes, it was on our own database, yes.

I realize that our timezones are different, so I apologize for any delay.

Regards,

Stine

Hi Stine,

If you don’t want to have multiple deployments at the same time, then you should set OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex to false or simply remove that variable which will have the same result.

Now, from what you are saying when you do that, you get a message saying Another deployment-related activity is in progress on this machine which means we need to figure out why and where are 2 separate tasks running on the same tentacle at the same time. Do you have some sort of parallel steps on your deployment process that might be running 2 steps on the same Tentacle? or perhaps you are deploying to this same Tentacle from another project?

Thanks,

Dalmiro

I saw this error as well after upgrading from 3.0.21 to 3.0.24. We would always kick off multiple deployments on the same tentacle and let Octopus queue them up. The issue resolved itself when I reinstalled 3.0.21, so it may be a bug introduced in 3.0.22, 23, or 24

Hi Bryan,

Could you please describe the exact behavior you were seeing when you upgraded to 3.0.24, and the expected behavior you are getting in 3.0.21. Please try to be as descriptive as possible to help us pinpoint the issue :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Dalmiro

We are having the exact same issue, except that we are still on Version 2.6 and have OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex set to True. Nevertheless, we get the same error message when the retention policy is executed after the deployment. Any ideas?

Hi,

I actually ended up fixing the problem. What I did was I checked which deployment was hanging(the number was in the deployment log) and then I went onto each of the servers that were stuck, DELETED the deployment folder with the hanging deployment number on each of the tentacles, and then I did a task reset on both of them(we had 2 hanging servers). I noticed when I deleted one of the folders that I had do provide administrator rights, and maybe that was why the retention policy was hanging.

How I reset the tasks/activities on the tentacles:
cd \Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle
tentacle.exe service --stop
tentacle.exe reset-activities
tentacle.exe service --start

• do this on all of the tentacles that are having trouble with the retention policy. Hope this helps.

Stine

Hi Stine,

I actually removed all content from the .Tentacle folder. This seemingly did the trick.

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

Kind regards, Marco…