Steps running on wrong servers (tenants)

running v3.7.8

I have an environment with many deployment targets. Some DTs are marked with having all tenants (using a Tag), and some DTs, with the same roles, are marked with a single tenant each (call them tenant A and B).

scenario #1:
I pick a release and start a deployment to this environment. I select tenants A and B and run the deployment, and it works correctly, in the tenant A task, it deploys to the DT for tenant A, and in the tenant B task, it deploys to the DT for tenant B. as expected.

scenario #2:
I pick a release and start a deployment to this environment. I select tenants A and B. I then scroll to the bottom and click “Deploy to a specific subset of deployment targets”, and select two DTs that have a single tenant each, DT-A has only tenant A, DT-B has only tenant B. I run the deployment. In this case, however, during the tenant A task, it deploys to BOTH DT-A (as it should) and DT-B (it should not), and during the tenant B task, it deploys to BOTH DT-B (as it should) and DT-A (it should not).

so, it appears that selecting multiple tenants for a deployment, and then selecting specific deployment targets breaks the deployment.

I can replicate this and provide a deployment log if desired.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’ve read over the scenarios you posted, and I think you’re right: there’s a potential bug lurking here. I’m going to try and reproduce this behaviour this afternoon based on your scenario and will get back to you.

Speak soon!
Mike

Hi Mike,

I’ve reproduced it like you described using the latest version of Octopus which was 3.7.11 at the time of writing. This is a bug in my opinion, and we’ve recognised a few issues arising from the way the advanced deployment screen hasn’t scaled to deal with tenants very well.

I’ve raised this GitHub Issue to track the work on fixing this bug: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3036

We are running a skeleton crew over the holiday period, so I would expect this bug to be fixed early in the new year. In the meantime you’ll have to avoid using Include Specific Deployment Targets when creating multiple tenanted deployments.

Hope that helps!
Mike