Step Variable with Value Shown as Not Defined

Hi guys

I recently upgraded to 1.6.0.1714 from 1.5.1.1652 and during Step 1, the deployment is failing with this message:
@@@
‘Tentacle error message: The variable ‘Octopus.Step[2].Package.UpdateIisWebsiteName’ contains a reference to another variable named ‘Octopus.Step.Package.NuGetPackageId’, which is not defined. Set the special variable OctopusPrintVariables to have Tentacle print the value of all variables to help diagnose this problem.’
@@@

I checked the Print Variables output and the variable ‘Octopus.Step[2].Package.NuGetPackageId’ has a value:
@@@
2013-05-08 04:15:19 DEBUG - [Octopus.Step[2].Package.NuGetPackageId] = 'OnTrack.V3.ContactCentre’
2013-05-08 04:15:19 DEBUG - [Octopus.Step[2].Package.NuGetPackageVersion] = '1.4.180.0’
2013-05-08 04:15:19 DEBUG - [Octopus.Step[2].Package.UpdateIisWebsite] = 'True’
2013-05-08 04:15:19 DEBUG - [Octopus.Step[2].Package.UpdateIisWebsiteName] = ‘#{Octopus.Environment.Name}.#{Octopus.Step.Package.NuGetPackageId}’
@@@

If i manually insert '[2] ’ into ‘#{Octopus.Step.Package.NuGetPackageId}’ in the ‘Steps’ configuration page, then the deployment step works. I used ‘#{Octopus.Step.Package.NugetPackageID’ because it was in the drop-down list.

Does this variable need its ‘Step’ value inserted manually, or should it have picked up the [2] automatically?

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know, this seems to be a bug. We’ll get a fix out for this shortly.

Paul

Thx Paul. I’m able to work-around the step-indexed variables by adding manually as above, however, its also affecting non-step-indexed variables that reference a step-indexed variable as the one below, so we’re not able to deploy for the time being. Looking forward to the new build :slight_smile:

Rohan

@@@
2013-05-08 04:54:09 ERROR System.Exception: The variable ‘OnTrack.ProgrammeDesigner’ contains a reference to another variable named ‘Octopus.Step.Package.NuGetPackageId’, which is not defined. Set the special variable OctopusPrintVariables to have Tentacle print the value of all variables to help diagnose this problem.'
2013-05-08 04:54:09 DEBUG - [OnTrack.ProgrammeDesigner] = ‘Application Name=#{Octopus.Step.Package.NuGetPackageId};Server=#{dbServer},#{dbPort};Database=#{dbName};Trusted_Connection=True;’
@@@

Hi,

Thanks, this is now fixed: http://octopusdeploy.com/downloads/1.6.1.1718

Paul