Step templates - run needs AdministerSystem permissions

Hi,

I don’t understand why to run step templates you need to have AdministerSystem permission. Is there any special reason for this?
I would like to enable users to test step templates but I don’t want them to be administer Octopus server.

Regards,
Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for getting in touch! The reason we require system administrator permissions for testing the step templates is because they run locally on the Octopus server, which is comparable to running an ad-hoc script from the script console locally on the Octopus server, which also requires the system administrator permissions.

We do realize however, how helpful it would be to have expanded permissions around the script console feature and in turn the run feature for step templates. Currently there is a UserVocie with a decent amount of votes, which this would fall under. The best idea would be to vote on the UserVoice and leave a comment with your thoughts.

Let me know if you have any further questions. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Ok, thanks.

Hi Jan,

No worries at all! Please feel free to get in touch if you run into any future issues, or have any questions. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel