Step template name not validated on creation

Hi,

I have been having an issue with variables in the project named the same as those in step templates. As a work around in the short term I decided to save the community step template to our instance and make the necessary changes myself.

As I had to do that, the name of the template needed to be changed. So I decided to include some identifier that this was a community written, but organisation updated template with [] at the start. This allowed me to save the template fine.

When I came to use it, I am unable to do so because [] are not valid characters in a step template name. I would have thought that if that was a constraint, that would be validated on creation, and not allow a user to create a badly named step template which they could never use.

Kind regards,

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for getting in touch! This is actually currently the behavior we expect, where the step template names are validated in a different way from step names. Unfortunately we don’t have any immediate plans to alter the validation behavior of step template names (mainly because a change here would likely negatively impact users who are expecting this behavior), so if using a character like the square brackets, you would just need to rename the step in your deployment process. You can retain the same step template name in this case.

Sorry it’s not better news! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions going forward.

Kind regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.