Starting console apps

I have Deploy.ps1 that runs this line of code:
psexec \machineName -i 1 -w c:\ -u domain\username -p password “C:\startup.bat”

When testing this line in the Script Console it has exit code zero, but passes as Success. As soon as its in the Deploy.ps1 it refuses to pass, even though the script is exactly the same. The script is actually running successfully, but its causing the deploy to fail? I have tried chain calling psexec into opening new command windows, supressing stderr and stdout by routing to a text file, and every other combination I can think of to bypass this failure from return code of zero. Is there a better was to start up a console applications?
I’m on v 2.4.8.107
The reason I’m using psexec is that I have to start the console app in a specific windows session.

This is from the script run management console:
PsExec v2.11 - Execute processes remotely          Error    13:20:14
Copyright (C) 2001-2014 Mark Russinovich           Error    13:20:14
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com                      Error    13:20:15
Connecting to local system...                                   Error    13:20:15
Starting PSEXESVC service on local system...       Error    13:20:15
Connecting with PsExec service on server01...       Error    13:20:15
Starting C:\startup.bat on server01..                        Error    13:20:15
C:\startup.bat exited on server01 with error code 0  Info    13:20:15
  ==============================================
PowerShell exit code: 0                                           Warning    13:20:15
  ==============================================

The script returned an exit code of 0, but output was written to the error output stream. Please investigate any errors in the script output above.

this is from the Deploy.ps1 after octopus run

PsExec v2.11 - Execute processes remotely      Error    12:02:49
Copyright (C) 2001-2014 Mark Russinovich        Error    12:02:49
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com                  Error    12:02:49
Connecting to local system...                              Error    12:02:49
Starting PSEXESVC service on local system...   Error    12:02:49
Connecting with PsExec service on server01...  Error    12:02:49
Starting C:\startup.bat on server01...                  Error    12:02:49
C:\startup.bat exited on server01 with error code 0.         Warning    12:02:49

The script returned an exit code of 0, but output was written to the error output stream. Please investigate any errors in the script output above Warning 12:02:49
One or more errors were encountered when running the script. Fatal 12:02:49 — THIS is the only difference that I can see.

Hi Hays,

Thanks for getting in touch!
It looks like somewhere OctopusTreatWarningsAsErrors is set to true as it looks like anything from stdout is being written to stderror.
Is this something you can look into and find maybe in a previous step or if you are using a step template.

Let me know how that goes.
Vanessa

You are right, there was a variable of OctopusTreatWarningsAsErrors set to True. Once I changed that I am now getting warnings instead of Errors. The warnings are not ideal, but something we will have to live with I suppose. Thanks!