Start octopus tentacle 3.16.3 as admin

Hello,

I am installing Octopus tentacle 3.16.3 using Chocolatey for the first time and registering it to Octopus Deploy Server using the script on the support site:

cd “C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle”

Tentacle.exe create-instance --instance “Tentacle” --config “C:\Octopus\Tentacle.config” --console
Tentacle.exe new-certificate --instance “Tentacle” --if-blank --console
Tentacle.exe configure --instance “Tentacle” --reset-trust --console
Tentacle.exe configure --instance “Tentacle” --home “C:\Octopus” --app “C:\Octopus\Applications” --noListen “True” --console
Tentacle.exe register-with --instance “Tentacle” --server “http://YOUR_OCTOPUS” --name “YOUR_TENTACLE_NAME” --apiKey “API-YOUR_API_KEY” --comms-style “TentacleActive” --server-comms-port “10943” --force --environment “YOUR_TENTACLE_ENVIRONMENTS” --role “YOUR_TENTACLE_ROLES” --console
Tentacle.exe service --instance “Tentacle” --install --start --console

Everything works fine but one thing, I noticed that some of my script are failing with the new setup and after a short investigation I found out that the tentacle is not running as a system user.

Is there a way to grant the tentacle service with the required permissions to run as a system user/admin using the script or any other way?

Regards

Hi Eran,

Thanks for getting in touch! The following documentation page has instructions on how you can change the user which the Tentacle will run as.

Let me know if this helps or if you have any further questions. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Thanks, but I don’t run it under a domain, I am running the service under local account but if I am trying to assign it to a different user(Administrator or NT SYSTEM/Authority), the service fails.

I am running into this error:
aspnet_regiis.exe : The term ‘aspnet_regiis.exe’ is not recognized as the name

of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of  

the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try  

again. 

and it is definitely a permissions issue since I have the path configured in the environment variables. If I run the script locally as admin on the machine it runs with no problems. How can elevate the octopus tentacle service’s permissions?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for getting back. The permissions of the Tentacle are handled by the account the Tentacle is set to run as. The account does not need to be a domain account, it does need to be able to perform any action you may do during a deployment.

Could I ask where you are seeing the aspnet_regiss.exe error? Is is during a deployment?

If you are seeing this during a deployment, would you be able to attach a full task log with variable logging?

Some more information on your process which leads to the trouble you are having will help me troubleshoot your problem. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hearing from you and getting to the bottom of this.

Best regards,
Daniel