Splitting Octopus Server into 2 different servers

Hello,

I want to take our existing Octopus server and break it into 2 servers. Could you tell me the best way to go about this?

I was going to restore a backup to the new server and delete half of the environments out of the new server and the other half out of the old server.

Will this work? What about licensing? I think we can have up to 3 Octopus servers.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch!

The best method for splitting up your installation would be to use the Octopus server managers Import/Export data feature. Once the data has been imported to the new Octopus server, you can use the UI to delete/change anything that you need to.

The steps for you to do this would be:

1. Install Octopus on new server, create new DB and configure installation.
  2. Export data from Original Octopus server using the Export Data tool under storage in the manager. (Don’t forget your password to restore sensitive data)
  3. Use the Import Data feature on the new Octopus server to restore the data. It is a good idea to zip the export and keep it as a backup.
  4. Using the Octopus UI, delete or change anything you need to.
  5. Done!

For further reading, you can check out the documentation on Data migration: http://docs.octopus.com/display/OD/Data+migration

With our licencing, you are welcome to up to three installations of Octopus so long as they are all connecting to separate databases. If you wish to have them all connected to a single DB, you will need to use our High Availability license.

Let me know how you go with this, if you run into any issues I’ll do my best to help.
Best regards,
Daniel