Some variables not populating correctly

Hi,
Not sure if this one is a bug or I’m misusing the tool in some way.
I’ve created a step in my deployment which starts a VM, in this step I’ve defined a powershell script which will start the VM based on some tenant variables;

‘Start-AzureRmVM -ResourceGroupName “${ClientIdentifier}-${EnvironmentIdentifier}-RG” -Name “${ClientIdentifier}-${EnvironmentIdentifier}-VM”"’

The ClientIdentifier here is in all but one case the same as another tenant variable, the one exception is where we have ‘UK’ appended:

This fails to start the VM as the resource group is called ‘Batman-Test-RG’ and not ‘BatmanUK-Test-RG’.
The simple solution would be for me to use ${Tenant.Alias} in the powershell script, however whenever I use this it pulls through as blank…

Any ideas as to why the ${Tenant.Alias} variable is pulling through blank?

Thanks,
Archie

Hi Archie,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support.

I hope you don’t mind, I have a few questions/request:

I look forward to hearing back from you and helping you get this resolved.

Regards,
Donny

Hi Donny,

Thanks for the quick reponse.
Octopus Server version: v2019.9.10 LTS
ServerTasks-246162.log.txt (1018.5 KB)
deploymentprocess-Projects-181.json (104.3 KB)

Thanks,

Archie

Hi Archie,

Thank you for getting back to me.

It looks like the variable will need to use OctopusParameters[] rather than the calling it via $variable. Here is an example I tested below:

write-host "Start-AzureRmVM -ResourceGroupName "${ClientIdentifier}-${EnvironmentIdentifier}-RG" -Name "${ClientIdentifier}-${EnvironmentIdentifier}-Invest-VM""

Start-Sleep -s 1

$TA = $OctopusParameters["Tenant.Alias"]
$TA = $TA.ToLower()

Write-Output "Successfully turned on ${ClientIdentifier}-${EnvironmentIdentifier}-Invest-VM; tenant is ${Alias} or $TA"

To account for this and to utilize “ToLower”, I set the OctopusParameter to a variable.

Let me know if that change works in this case for you.

Regards,
Donny

Hi Donny,

That’s worked!

Thanks so much for the help :slight_smile:

Archie

1 Like

Hi Archie,

Thank you for getting back to me. I’m glad to hear it worked for you!

If you need anything else, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Regards,
Donny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.