Some info questions

hello!
i got the job to try octopus out and see if it can fit into our organization.
so i have some questions that i could not answer myself.
Is octopus limited to deploy only ASP.NET,Web applications and Windows Services?
can it not be used to deploy just any kind of other NUGET or ZIP packages?
what if my deployment process requires only to install a app with an installer?

Thank you in advance for any answer.

Hi Lio,

No, Octopus is not limited to only ASP.NET apps and Windows Services.

You can deploy pretty much any kind of app, if you can script it, Octopus can (in almost all cases) deploy it.

For example:

• This docs page shows how to deploy a Node app to an Ubuntu server.
  • This blog post explains how to deploy an MSI using Octopus.

I hope that helps!

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

Thank you for your reply.
This information will definitely help me.
i am a first year student,and it would take me a lot of time to find it all out by myself.
still have a lot to learn. my next step is better understand scripting.
because we do develop in c# and use nuget but we deploy normally just exe,msi.
then I’ll see what other questions i will have left.

so if i understand correctly i can say, octopus was developed in first place for ASP WS and DB and over time “expanded” his ability to all kinds of apps with scripting,
and now we can look at it as a general deployment server for all kind of application, and is also not limited to the .NET world?!

Hi Lio,

Yes, that is correct.

Henrik

Hi Henrik,

I have another question
I writing my intern report now about Octopus, and wanted to ask
if Its OK to include pictures from the octopus website in my report?
like this one

or could it be a legal problem?

Lio

Hi Lio,

As long as you attribute the pictures as coming from our website you’ll be fine.

Thanks,
Henrik

another question i have on my mind…
why is it Octopus dose requires a Microsoft Server?
would it not be better if it could be installed on a normal Operating system…or at least just the tentacle. and is this going to change anytime son.or is it intended stay this way?

Lio

Hi Lio,

Our Octopus Server software is designed, developed and tested under the branch of Windows Server products from 2008+. It’s designed as a Server to Server commercial deployment tool. If we added testing to Windows 7 or other desktop Windows Operating Systems, we would have to also test Windows 7, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate, x86 or x64, with Service Pack 1 etc etc placing a lot of overhead and complexity on the testing matrix. Our software is also mainly designed to be run by Developers and DevOps and Servers are generally under a more sterile, restrictive, environment with maintained and monitored configurations.

If say you find a bug when installing, that is due to environmental issues such as other installed software, non-standard configurations or missing dependencies, this is not something we test or can necessarily help with, we don’t know it will be the case, but it could happen.

If you find a functional bug that we can reproduce on our existing tested environments, this is something we will support and fix.

I hope that helps.

Thank you,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

Thank you for the answer.
one more question about Purchasing Octopus Deploy.
from the website is it not clear to me, if i purchase let say Professional for 700 dollar
with 1 year support & maintenance included.
for how long is license valid? for one year or forever.do i need buy new one every year?

Lio

Hi Lio,

The license is perpetual, so once you’ve bought it you can use if forever!

The support and maintenance gives you access to new major and minor releases of the software for 12 months (or what ever duration you selected when purchasing your license). Once your support and maintenance period lapses you need to renew your license (which is 50% of the current license cost, so for a Professional license it would be $350) to get access to new major and minor releases of the software.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

Thank you,
Henrik

Notice:

This issue has been closed due to inactivity. If you encounter the same or a similar issue and require help, please open a new discussion (if we asked for logs or extra details in this thread, consider including them in the new thread). If you are the creator of this thread and believe it should not be closed let us know via our support email.