Skipping Steps

In version 3 and earlier we were able to create a release that had steps that were selected to be skipped, and then after that release was deployed to DEV we could promote it to PROD know the skipped steps would still be skipped. Since upgrading to version 4, when we do the same process with steps being skipped, we have to reset those skipped steps when going to PROD. It does not remember what steps were selected when deploying to DEV. Is there a setting we can set so it remembers the skipped step selection for any deployment of that release?

Hi Dan,

Thanks for getting in touch,

I’m sorry to hear that this behavior is causing inconvenience to you.

At this stage there isn’t a setting within Octopus to remember these settings, however, there is an existing Github raised to address this, which I’ve linked below;

As a workaround, you should be able to replace app# with oldportal# in the Octopus URL to load Octopus using the V3 UI in order to retain this functionality.

I’d recommend keeping up to date with the progress of this issue at the aforementioned link.

If you require any further assistance or clarification moving forward, please let me know :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Reece

Reece,
Thanks for the reply. So is that feature actively being worked? Or, is it just a request?

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for getting back to me,

At this stage, the functionality has progressed from a standard user voice suggestion to a product enhancement, though currently this resides in our backlog.

I’ll have a chat to the Team regarding this in our morning catch-up to flag this as a concern.

As previously mentioned, keeping up to date with this ticket will provide the best visibility of it’s progress.

If you require any further assistance or clarification please let me know :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Reece

Reece,

Were you able to talk to your team about this? We could really benefit from this functionality coming back. It’s causing a lot of confusion on why steps aren’t getting skipped when they were skipped in other environment deployments.

Thanks,

Daniel Hoenig | DTN | TABS Software Architect

Hi Dan,

Thanks for getting back to me, I’m sorry to hear that this is causing confusion for you.

I was able to have a chat with the team in our catch-up and flagged this as a concern.

The feedback provided from the team overall felt that this functionality should instead be replicated in the form of providing scoping to steps for specific environments, rather than excluding the steps during the deployment itself (unless the use case requires steps to be skipped in one-off instances)

The benefit of having the steps scoped on the Project level provides greater visibility in the process area as to which steps are applicable environments. Additionally, this prevents users from making a mistake during the deployment when excluding steps.

Please let me know your thoughts on this, I understand this is likely not the answer you were hoping for.

If you require any further assistance or clarification please let me know :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Reece

Scoping to steps assumes the step should never run for a specific environment. In our case its a per release basis. So the scoping to step does us no good. The reason is, one Octo project will release multiple applications. So, each step is an application that gets deployed and we don’t always want to deploy every application on every release. Most of the time we do deploy all applications, but on occasion we don’t. This way of setting up the projects came from limitations in version 1.0 of Octo. (those limitations may still exist)

It seems like the creation of the release should dictate what steps are excluded, if any. This way it takes a snapshot what that particular release looks like. Just like it does with the variables.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.