Should OctoPack create a release?

Hello

It seems as though running OctoPack is creating a release for one of our Octopus projects. Should a release be created? I was under the impression that OctoPack was only for creating packages. Here’s some more information about our build/publish process…

-We are using Visual Studio Team Services to coordinate our builds that happen on our own VM. The VSTS build agent is on this VM. Our Octopus server is also on this VM.

-The MSBuild arguments are:
/p:DeployOnBuild=true /p:PublishProfile=TestPub /p:RunOctoPack=true /p:OctoPackPackageVersion=$(Build.BuildNumber) /p:OctoPackPublishPackageToHttp=http://localhost:8000/nuget/packages /p:OctoPackPublishApiKey=API-OURCOMPANYKEY

-The build output states that “OctoPack successful” and that the packages were published to our Octopus server’s Nuget feed. The output does not indicate anything about creating a release.

Also, we were previously using the “Create Octopus Release” VSTS Custom Task. This task would attempt to run after the build that included the OctoPack invocation. However, the “Create Octopus Release” VSTS Custom Task would throw an error stating that the “Release ‘1.0.1.2016100607’ already exists for this project. Please use a different version, or look at using a mask to auto-increment the number”. I viewed the Octopus server, and this release had indeed been created. So, I disabled the “Create Octopus Release” task and queued another build. After the build completed another Octopus release was also created (even the the Create Octopus Release task was disabled). This is what led me to hypothesize that the release may have been created by OctoPack.

Is it possible that something other than OctoPack is creating a release in this scenario?

Thanks

Curtis

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for getting in touch! Most likely you have automatic release creation enabled for this project. That will create a new release when a package is pushed.

Please let me know if that is not the case.

Hope that helps!

Robert W

Thanks Robert. You’re right on the money. Automatic Release Creation was activated. I appreciate the solution and the speedy response.