Shared Steps between projects

Hello,

I was wondering if this http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/suggestions/873-shared-step had been implemented in Octopus Deploy 2.0.7.966?

Thank you,
Kind regards,
Carole

Hi Carole, no, we dropped this from 2.0 in favour of starting a slightly different “library” concept. Litbrary variable sets should help reduce the duplication between projects that share steps, let me know more about your scenario if you’d like a hand getting this set up.

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for your email.
Library variable sets sound good, I’ll take a look.

Kind regards,
Carole

Winton Capital Management Limited (“Winton”) is a limited company registered in England and Wales with its registered offices at 16 Old Bailey, London, EC4M 7EG (Registered Company No. 3311531). Winton is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the United Kingdom, registered as an investment adviser with the US Securities and Exchange Commission, registered with the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission and a member of the National Futures Association in the United States.

This communication, including any attachments, is confidential and may be privileged. This email is for use by the intended recipient only. If you receive it in error, please notify the sender and delete it. You should not copy or disclose all or any part of this email.
This email does not constitute an offer or solicitation and nothing contained in this email constitutes, and should not be construed as, investment advice. Prospective investors should request offering materials and consult their own advisors with respect to investment decisions and inform themselves as to applicable legal requirements, exchange control regulations and taxes in the countries of their citizenship, residence or domicile. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
Winton takes reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy and integrity of its communications, including emails. However Winton accepts no liability for any materials transmitted. Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free.

I still think the shared steps are needed. We have 6 projects setup and they all have 5 or 6 steps that are exactly the same such as emailing a group to let them know the deploy has start, waiting for manual intervention for approval, emailing if something fails, etc.

Agreed. We have multiple projects (~15) containing the same steps, so if one particular step needs changing, we currently need to repeat the change per step for each project. Every project is different of course, but there are a common subset of steps - having these common steps shared across projects would be great.

Thanks for the feedback. We have this ticket under the current milestone: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/817 - while not absolutely certain just yet, there’s a high chance we’ll ship this in 2.4.

Regards,
Nick