Shared Infrastructure Between Spaces

Is it possible to share infrastructure between spaces? I have a business scenario where multiple divisions within the company deploy to the same deployment target and we are also planning to use the same worker nodes.
What I want to avoid is having to duplicate infrastructure in all the spaces and hence paying for multiple deployment targets when they are actually the same.

Thanks!

Hi @nicolas.spencer ,

Thank you for contacting Octopus, as you may be aware spaces are hard walled areas within Octopus that will ringfence environments, lifecycles, projects, variable sets, deployment targets and tenants.

It is possible to set up the same deployment target in more than one space - that way targets can be shared and won’t count towards your license limit - so long as the targets are listening tentacles, and have the same URL and listening port number.

Just be aware that if you go down this route, it complicates the permissions, and team members won’t see all the deployments targeting the shared infrastructure.
The downsides are that a member of one team could deploy to the same target that belongs in another division. From my perspective, the only way that I can think of that you could avoid the aforementioned issues and so sensibly control deployments, would be to have a “shared division space” where all teams have access to the shared target/s - but then you may well be back where you are now! :smiley:

Let me know if you have any questions or need more information and I’ll be happy to help where I can.

Regards

Mark

Mark Lamprecht

Solutions Architect | St Ives, Cambridgeshire, UK

Hi @Mark_Lamprecht,

Thank you very much for your response. I understand the pros and cons of setting up the same deployment target in more than one space. I’ll keep this in mind when configuring the instance.

Regards!