Setting up OctopusUseBundledAzureModules

Im looking to upgrade the version of Azure Powershell and Azure CLI without at this point upgrading our Octopus version (something for a later date)

I understand that i need to download and install the newer version of Powershell and CLI on the server and create and a set a variable OctopusUseBundledAzureModules to false.

Is this a system level variable or is it project specific. i.e. if i do this and set it will all projects then stop using the bundled version?

also how do i go about setting this variable itself, i can’t find any specific steps to do so. I am new to support this application.

Hi @davyrob77,

First of all, welcome to the Octopus forums!

Thanks for reaching out.

I assume you are referring to this documentation here, which means your current version is between 2018.5.5 to 2019.13.7.

If that’s the case, then this will be a Project specific variable. You will go inside the project, click the variables tab, paste in OctopusUseBundledAzureModules as the variable name, type in False for the value, then click add to list and save. This specific project should now use the azure cli that is pre-installed on the server the tentacle is running on.

Here is an example GIF. If you are pasting in the variable name make sure there are no spaces before or after it like what happened to me or it wont work.

If you want this to do all projects, the quickest way to do that might be to create a Library Variable Set and include that on all of your projects.

To do this you would go to Library->Variable Sets->Add New Variable Set (name and describe it)->Add OctopusUseBundledAzureModules as a name and the value to False, click add to list and save.

Now that you have this variable set you can add it to a project by going to the variables within a project and clicking Library Sets->Include Library Variable Sets-> Select the one we created -> Save.

By doing the above you can import variables to projects (usually common variables shared among projects) without having to manually add them to each project.

Please let me know if that works for you or if you need more help.

Thanks,
Jeremy

1 Like

thank you for the reply. I just wanted to ultimately check if i could do it project specific and not have to check and confirm the other 100 or so that might be impacted.

Hi,

You’re very welcome.

Please let us know if you need help with anything else. I hope you have a great weekend.

Thanks,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.