Set application pool identity: SpecificUser November 10th 2021 09:43:28Error Set-ItemProperty : Input string was not in a correct format

Hi,
I am pushing application into a brand new box, never had that error before on our previous boxes.

I am using the default push to IIS step.

Can you please advise what I am doing wrong?

Hi @amushtaq,

Thanks for reaching out!

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing an issue during your deployment.

Would you be able to send me a screenshot of your step configuration for the “Application Pool” section?
It looks like there’s a value in that field or a variable being substituted that isn’t in the format the PowerShell command Set-ItemProperty is expecting for a value.

Would you also be able to send over the raw task log of the failed deployment, please?

If you’d like a secure place to upload the screenshot and logs so none of the configuration values are visible publically, then please upload your screenshot to this URL: Support Files - Upload.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns and I’ll do my best to answer them!

Kind Regards,
Adam

Adam, thank you for the fast response.

I have uploaded the supoorted docs.

Hi @amushtaq,

I wonder if it’s the ~ or the @ that the Set-ItemProperty cmdlet doesn’t like?

Are you able to use a different value for the name variable, such as SAM Account Name or a reference that doesn’t contain those characters?

Kind Regards,
Adam

Hi,

Its not the ‘@’
I dont have an account without ‘~’

I have been able to use this account in the past with the same syntax and same steps on octopus deploy.

We have moved from windows server 2012 r2 to windows sever 2019.

Any other way to fix this?

Hi @amushtaq,

It might be worth it to do a deployment with variable logging enabled to see if the log file reveals any information that might not be otherwise accessible.

There’s a step-by-step guide for turning on variable logging, it’s just adding a couple of variables to the project and then doing a regular deployment.

If you don’t see anything yourself that looks suspicious then feel free to send the logs our way via that same link above and I’ll take a look also.

Kind Regards,
Adam

Hi @amushtaq,

Apologies for the double post here but is it possible that the variables for the Username and Password are scoped to specific targets and, as this is a new deployment target, the variables are not being resolved and that’s why the error is being thrown?

Let me know if this is possible as the solution should just be to add those targets to the scope of the variables or to remove any target scoping from the variables.

Kind Regards,
Adam

Hi Adam,

You are correct, the application name was not scoped to the new enviroment.
Just figured it out 2 minutes before you messaged.
Issue is fixed.

Many thanks,

Hi @amushtaq,

That’s great to hear! Thanks for letting me know.

Feel free to reach out again if you run into any other issues.

Kind Regards,
Adam

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.