Server migration error

I’m trying to migrate an installation from a server to another.
Both source and destination are version 3.11.4.
The source is recently upgraded from 3.7.18 (I think) to 3.11.4, the destination is installed from version 3.11.4.

I’ve exported the source, then tried to import in destination.
And I got this error:

2017-03-02 12:12:26.1212 1 FATAL Could not find type ‘Octopus.Core.Model.NuGet.Feed’ in assembly ‘Octopus.Core, Version=3.11.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’.
Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializationException
at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.DefaultSerializationBinder.GetTypeFromTypeNameKey(TypeNameKey typeNameKey)
at Newtonsoft.Json.Utilities.ThreadSafeStore2.AddValue(TKey key) at Newtonsoft.Json.Utilities.ThreadSafeStore2.Get(TKey key)
at Octopus.Migrator.TypeConversionBinder.BindToType(String assemblyName, String typeName) in TypeConversionBinder.cs:line 15
at Octopus.Migrator.ImportProcess.ImportedDocument…ctor(JObject instance, JsonSerializer serializer, IMasterKeyEncryption sourceMasterKeyEncryption) in ImportedDocument.cs:line 80
at Octopus.Migrator.ImportProcess.SourceProviders.ExportedFilesSourceProvider.ReadDocuments in ExportedFilesSourceProvider.cs:line 53
at Octopus.Migrator.ImportProcess.ImportController.IdentifySourceDocuments(ImportContext context) in ImportController.cs:line 385
at Octopus.Migrator.ImportProcess.ImportController.ExecuteWithTimer(ImportContext ctx, String name, Action1 work) in ImportController.cs:line 160 at Octopus.Migrator.ImportProcess.ImportController.ImportDocuments(IImportedDocumentSource backup) in ImportController.cs:line 97 at Octopus.Migrator.ImportProcess.ImportController.Import(IImportedDocumentSource backup) in ImportController.cs:line 80 at Octopus.Migrator.Commands.ImportFilesCommand.Start() in ImportFilesCommand.cs:line 98 at Octopus.Shared.Startup.AbstractCommand.Octopus.Shared.Startup.ICommand.Start(String[] commandLineArguments, ICommandRuntime commandRuntime, OptionSet commonOptions, String displayName, String version, String informationalVersion, String[] environmentInformation, String instanceName) in AbstractCommand.cs:line 78 at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.Start(ICommandRuntime commandRuntime) in OctopusProgram.cs:line 235 at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ConsoleHost.Run(Action1 start, Action shutdown) in ConsoleHost.cs:line 77
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.Run() in OctopusProgram.cs:line 106

Hi Daniel,

I’m sorry you’re encountering problems migrating your data.

That’s odd. That error would make sense if the export was from an older version of Octopus. Are you certain your export source was version 3.11.x?
Is it possible the export target folder was not cleared before re-exporting? This doesn’t happen automatically, and can sometimes result in stale data in the export folder?

If that doesn’t explain it, could you please attach your migration log file? It will be located in the Server Log Files directory.

Regards,
Michael

Well, I didn’t delete the previously exported data from the backup directory. I just re-exported.

But I think I solved the problem by attaching the database backup, then updating the master key and some urls/locations that were pointing to the old server.

Daniel,

I’m glad to hear you have it working.

Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any further issues.

Hi Daniel,

I am facing similar issue migrating data from 3.2.13 server to 3.11.4. Below is the error log for my migrate preview. We are not planning on upgrading the source server because thats where all our jobs are. 3.11.4 is our test sever but our original plan is to migrate all the data from 3.2.13 server to 3.4.14.

Is there any way to force this step to proceed if its a issue with versions?

2017-04-19 10:53:26.0443 1 ERROR ===============================================================================
2017-04-19 10:53:26.2593 1 FATAL Could not find type ‘Octopus.Core.Model.NuGet.Feed’ in assembly ‘Octopus.Core, Version=3.11.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’.
Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializationException
at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.DefaultSerializationBinder.GetTypeFromTypeNameKey(TypeNameKey typeNameKey)
at Newtonsoft.Json.Utilities.ThreadSafeStore2.AddValue(TKey key) at Newtonsoft.Json.Utilities.ThreadSafeStore2.Get(TKey key)
at Octopus.Migrator.TypeConversionBinder.BindToType(String assemblyName, String typeName) in TypeConversionBinder.cs:line 15
at Octopus.Migrator.ImportProcess.ImportedDocument…ctor(JObject instance, JsonSerializer serializer, IMasterKeyEncryption sourceMasterKeyEncryption) in ImportedDocument.cs:line 80
at Octopus.Migrator.ImportProcess.SourceProviders.ExportedFilesSourceProvider.ReadDocuments in ExportedFilesSourceProvider.cs:line 53
at Octopus.Migrator.ImportProcess.ImportController.IdentifySourceDocuments(ImportContext context) in ImportController.cs:line 385
at Octopus.Migrator.ImportProcess.ImportController.ExecuteWithTimer(ImportContext ctx, String name, Action1 work) in ImportController.cs:line 160 at Octopus.Migrator.ImportProcess.ImportController.ImportDocuments(IImportedDocumentSource backup) in ImportController.cs:line 97 at Octopus.Migrator.ImportProcess.ImportController.Import(IImportedDocumentSource backup) in ImportController.cs:line 80 at Octopus.Migrator.Commands.ImportFilesCommand.Start() in ImportFilesCommand.cs:line 98 at Octopus.Shared.Startup.AbstractCommand.Octopus.Shared.Startup.ICommand.Start(String[] commandLineArguments, ICommandRuntime commandRuntime, OptionSet commonOptions, String displayName, String version, String informationalVersion, String[] environmentInformation, String instanceName) in AbstractCommand.cs:line 78 at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.Start(ICommandRuntime commandRuntime) in OctopusProgram.cs:line 235 at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ConsoleHost.Run(Action1 start, Action shutdown) in ConsoleHost.cs:line 77
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.Run() in OctopusProgram.cs:line 106

Forgot to copy the migrate log file. Also, does versions have to be same between source and destination to export the data? Is there any way to overwrite versions during migration.

OctopusMigrator.2017-04-19_10_45_11.7368.txt (3 MB)

Hi Srikanth,

I’m assuming this was also your issue. Either way, the advice there is relevant :slight_smile:

Regards,
Michael