Sensitive Variables in Variable Template

I have created a Variable Template with a Sensitise Variable (see attached).

When defining this variable in the Tenant Project Variables screen the value is displayed in plain text and is not obscured as sensitive (see attached).

Am I doing anything wrong or is this a bug? Using version 3.15.0

thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch. The custom expression box is intentionally not sensitive, this is so you can place a custom binding like a variable #{Username}:#{password}. While you are able to set the password using the custom expression box, the default password box is recommended if the password is being entered directly, without the use of a variable.

Your issue may also be related to the following: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3651

If you are still having this issue without using the custom expression feature, would you be able to update to Octopus 3.15.7 and let me know if it helps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel

The Custom Expression box got set by default when changing the variable to a sensitive type, which I thought was odd.

If I reset to remove this, I get the password box (attached). But after clicking ‘Set’ and entering a password there is no way to confirm, only Cancel (Attached). As such if I click Save or navigate away from the page the change is lost

Hi,

Thanks for the info here, I have run this past the team to discuss if we should change this behavior, currently, you are required to press enter after entering a new value in that box.

Let me know if that helps for now, I’ll update you again with our thoughts here. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel

Not sure if the team tried replicating the scenario, but pressing enter on that screen has no effect for me. I tried again to make sure I had tried that case as it seems like the obvious behaviour. Pressing is a logical design, I just don’t think it works.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I just had a look at this again. It turns out, having multiple tenant variables causes the enter key to not work. I did however test and confirm that changing the sensitive value does take effect. I deployed my password to a text file and tested updating it.

I have just created a GitHub issue with the enter issue and some thoughts here. Thank you for the information you ave provided for this. :slight_smile:

Let me know what you think, or if you have any further questions or notice anything else.

Best regards,
Daniel