Select multiple Environments to deploy to

(Paul Donovan) #1

Hi,

We would benefit from being able to deploy and/or promote to more than one environment at a time. Once the release has been succesfully tested on a test site we then have to deploy to each of our production sites one after the other.

I expect that multiple deploys is going to have to be done as a queue of tasks, with all the attached issues like viewing the task queue, editing the queue etc. so I can see that it could be quite involved. Having said that, a queue of deploys would be nice as that could extend to scheduling of deploys (for example over night).

Thanks,

Paul

(Paul Stovell) #2

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion. Would this just be the equivalent of click “Promote to” multiple times while a deployment is running? Or would it work differently somehow?

Paul

(Paul Donovan) #3

Hi,

My idea was that after you’ve done your initial deploy to a test environment and are happy with it, you follow the following steps:

• Click the green ‘Promote to…’ button
  • that shows a page almost identical to the current one, where the only change is the dropdown to select an environment replaced with a multi-select list of environments (and Select All/ None for bonus points)
  • You choose the environments you require, add your comments, click ‘Deploy Release’
  • the deploys would be done one after the other

I’m not sure how you’d show the deployment progress, perhaps like the current page but with another hierarchical level above the current contents to show which environment the upload and install steps are running on.

At one point I thought it might make sense to do each step on each environment, then move to the next step, do for each environment, then the next step and so on. But I think that could lead to a possibly large delay between a environment getting step 1 done and then getting step 2 done. So I think the simpler approach of do the whole deploy for an environment and then move to the next environment would be safer.

Cheers,
Paul

(Paul Stovell) #4

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the explanation. I’ve created a Trello item here to track it:

https://trello.com/card/select-multiple-environments-to-deploy-to/4e907de70880ba000079b75c/180

In the mean time, if necessary you can use octo.exe from a batch file to trigger multiple consecutive deployments (just use deploy-release ... --waitforcompletion).

Paul

(Paul Stovell) #5

Hi Paul,

This has also been moved to Uservoice:

Paul

(system) closed #6