Scheduled Trigger - Latest Existing Release

I’m currently making use of the scheduled deployment trigger to automate deployments to several environments overnight, this is done by taking the latest release for a given channel (with versioning rules) to ensure the environments stay up to date.

The problem: What I would like to do is to have all my builds in Teamcity (release builds) push to Octopus when they complete making them available to release sooner and with less hassle. As far as I can tell this won’t work with Scheduled triggers because they can only either promote releases or create a new release meaning that if Teamcity has already created a release in Octopus nothing will happen?

It would be nice to be able to do this as it would make the overall process flow better and allow set notes to be created from Teamcity with helpful information.

Octopus Server Version: 2018.4.11

Thanks

Tom

1 Like

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for getting in touch!

My initial thoughts is that this feature would be a good addition to the scheduled triggers. I’ll discuss it with the team as well.

In the mean time, a work around would be to setup a scheduled build in TeamCity that deploys the latest release for the project at your preferred time.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

I did consider that idea however the build configuration we have currently builds all our branches and I’m using a Teamcity scheduled trigger to build a specific one each day and then Octopus to create a release using a channel with specific versioning rules and deploy it. I’m doing this with nearly 10 projects so to have a special configuration just for this would really add a lot to our build server and would then be something we have to maintain. How it’s working now actually works really well but only for the very specific task I’ve set it up to do.

I think for now I’ll have to leave it as it is but if the scheduled triggers could be extended to allow this I’d be in a good position to improve the whole build to deployment process.

Thanks
Tom

Hi Thomas,

I’ve raised this GitHub issue to implement this feature that you can subscribe to and keep track of its progress.

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.