Scheduled Deployment: Is there a way to see exactly when the deployment will start

Currently, if I request a deployment a couple days out, it shows a friendly message “Will start in 2 days”. But for my deployment engineers trying to understand when they need to sign in (often late at night) to monitor the deployment that’s not precise enough. Is there somewhere that displays the exact time that the deployment will start? (9/14/2014 at 9:00pm EDT) for example. Currently they have to call the person who requested the deployment and ask them what the schedule is. I think the friendly message is useful for getting a quick overview, but we need to be able to see the actual time as well.

Thanks,
Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for getting in touch! Currently we don’t display this information on the UI which is something we’re looking to address in our next release. In the meantime you can use this PowerShell script to determine the scheduled time using the Octopus Deploy API.

function Get-OctopusDeploymentQueueTime($apiAddress, $deploymentId, $apiKey) {

$deployment = Invoke-RestMethod "$apiAddress/api/deployments/$deploymentId" -Headers @{ "X-Octopus-ApiKey" = $apiKey }

$task = Invoke-RestMethod "$apiAddress/api/tasks/$($deployment.TaskId)/details" -Headers @{ "X-Octopus-ApiKey" = $apiKey }

return [DateTime]::Parse($task.Task.QueueTime);
}

You can call the function as per the following passing in your API url, deployment id and API key. To determine the deployment id just navigate to the Task progress page for a particular deployment and refer to the url /projects/sample/releases/0.0.1/deployments/deployments-65.

Get-OctopusDeploymentQueueTime "http://serverAddress" "deployments-00" "API-YourKeyHere"

Note that you’ll need PowerShell v3 or v4 to use Invoke-RestMethod.

Hope that helps!

Daniel