Same application multiple times on same server (multi tenant?)

Hi,

We a windows service that is used as backend for customers.
The service configuration and location has to be different between different customers. Multiple services could be located on the same server and consist of the same files, except for the configuration file.

Up to now we have solved this by adding a machine in Octopus (same tentacle) for each service.
At install we interpreted which customer configuration should be by the machine name.
Since you have changed, in 2.5, that all machines must have an unique SQUID this is not longer possible since we don’t want to install multiple tentacles on same server and the max tentacles in our license would skyrocket.

As I’ve read this

you recommend using projects or environments.
In our case we would only like to have Dev, QA and Prod as environments (it’s much cleaner) and since we would like a single deployment project it’s not a great option either.

One bug part is that we would like to treat each service seperately, the fail should not interfer with the installation of the other services.

I think this would be solved by the multi-tenant solution so I’m wondering:

• when will the multi-tenant solution be released?
  • Is there another setup we should try?
    (As it stands right now, we won’t update to v2.5+ until we have a sustainable solution for this problem.)

Best regards,
Jonas

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for getting in touch! The proposed multi-tenant solution that is on the roadmap will indeed make your deployment scenario much more elegant.
Currently it is on the roadmap for 3.1 which under the current timeframe will be around second quarter 2015.

Thanks
Vanessa

Is there another way to achieve multi-tenant with the latest version?

Best regards,
Jonas

Jonas Strandelid
CTO • VITEC AFFÄRSOMRÅDE MÄKLARE
DIREKT/MOBIL: 0480–44 74 58

Från: Vanessa Love [mailto:tender2+da87fd1166@tenderapp.com]
Skickat: den 16 december 2014 11:51
Till: Jonas Strandelid
Ämne: Re: Same application multiple times on same server (multi tenant??) [Questions #3767]

Hi Jonas,

No, the only solutions are the ones on the documentation page that you found.

Vanessa