Running two instances of Octopus Server using restore of database

I set up my Octopus server, got it all configured, and later moved it to a new machine by restoring a backup. I disabled the services on the original machine. Now, a few months later, I have restarted the old server and we are running development projects on one and production projects on the other. My question is that because they both started from the same copy of the database with the same keys etc. will I run into trouble? It seems to be working, but I don’t want to run into unexpected problems. Is it OK to continue this way?

Hi David,

Thanks for getting in touch! Based on how you created the second instance, I would have to assume they both have the same SQUID and thumbprint, which means the tentacle/s could both get confused and drop connections during deployments (and other weird behavior we have seen). You will need to go into one of your instances configuration files, and update the SQUID, then reset connections to the Tentacles. It will allow the Tentacles to have two registered Octopus connections and not cause issues.

So please do the following:

1. Stop the Octopus Server service
  2. Find this file and open in it a text editor: C:\Octopus\OctopusServer\OctopusServer.config
  3. Update <set key="Octopus.Communications.Squid">SQ-WIN2014R2-0D9E47ED</set> with a unique SQUID
  4. Save and close the file
  5. Restart your Octopus Server Service
  6. On the environments page, reset tentacle connections.

Hope that helps!
Vanessa

Thank you for the quick response. I suspected I would have trouble, so I reinstalled completely on one machine and recreated the projects there. It is all working well now.

Hi David,

I would still confirm they have different SQUIDs as reinstalling keeps the same configuration file - unless you delete the Octopus directory.

Vanessa