I’m looking to make some performance improvements to one of my projects and during my investigation I’ve copied the project and set all the steps to run in parallel. I’m currently only deploying a subset of the steps but it looks to be a significant improvement. One thing I’m struggling with is limiting how many of these steps execute at the same time. For example if I have a deployment with 20 steps and all are set to run in parallel then they all start running. I was hoping I’d be able to say all the steps are configured to run in parallel BUT only 5 can be running at any one time. From the below page in the documentation I thought one of the MaxParallelism variables might allow me to do this but it doesn’t appear to:
- Octopus Server Locally Hosted - Version: 2020.4.4
- All steps run on the same machine
- All steps have the same designated role
- All steps are basically the same but different services
- All steps work from the same template and deploy an IIS site with custom scripting
I do have some workaround options but none are as good as having a variable to set how many execute at the same time in terms of scoping and quickly making changes.