Running Simultaneous task server locks deployments

Hello,

I’m working on the latest version of Octopus deploy (2018.3.8) and since one of the last updates I have the issue that when multiple deployments are running I see a lot of this message
Cannot start this task yet because “ServerTasks-20076” (has a write lock) tasks are currently running and this task cannot be run in conjunction with any other tasks. Please wait…
While in the past I never had this issue.
Now it took 10 minutes to post to slack that a deployment has started, because it was locked for 9:59 minutes because an other build was running a longer step (triggering a build on the teamcity server).

I just hit something VERY similar. I have projects that call other projects during their deployment. COmpletely breaks now and times out.

Cannot start this task yet because “ServerTasks-84366” (has a read lock) tasks are currently running and this task cannot be run in conjunction with any other tasks. Please wait…

Further follow up. This is a VERY nasty bug.

Our deployments use the old chain deployment script that was done by the community.

Now when it triggers it gets into the message above 100% of the time.

Before we were on 2018.3.6, and this started showing up only in 2018.3.8.

I think this is the change that caused it: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/4420

Hi All,

Apologies for the issues this has caused!

This has been resolved in 2018.3.9, specifically this issue. Effectively what happened is we shipped a new deployment pipeline in 2018.3.8 (which is in preparation for some upcoming features) and unfortunately as part of that we accidentally inverted the OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex operation which forced the behaviour that you are seeing.

If you can upgrade that would be the best approach, however you can also revert to the old pipeline by creating and setting a variable Octopus.Action.UseNewExecutionDispatcher to False which would bypass the issue as well.

Again, apologies for the problems that this has caused,

Regards,
Alex

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.