Running deploy step exactly once

Hi!
One of our deploy scenarios is as follows:
there are a script step, that communicating with internal hosting systems. It based on a step template and has about 1000 realisations. We have few special deployment roles (one per development team) and all of this roles placed on one deployment target. But this cause big deployment queue, because each deploy can run from 1 to 30 minutes and deployment target is locked at this time.
Have you any possibility to use option like “run step exactly once at deployment targets pool”? For example - i want to have a pool of targets with equals roles, but in deploy must be option, that says to execute step only once, at any available target.

Kind regards,
Alexander Yuzhanin

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the question.

You may be able to register your deployment targets as workers and assign them to pools. You can then configure a step to run once on an available worker. See the workers documentation here: https://octopus.com/docs/infrastructure/workers

Workers have been available since 2018.7.0.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Shane

Hi, Shane!

Thank you for the answer.
As i see, our license not allows to use different worker pools and workers, i will ask about upgrade options.
Other question - it seems like external workers/worker pools can only be used with script steps? Our template is based on a “deploy a package” step.
And another question - can i use different worker pools in different environments?

Kind regards,
Alexander Yuzhanin

Hi Alexander,

Worker pools can not be scoped to an environment but this is something we are currently implementing.

Workers can only be used with script steps. Would your template work as a script step using a package? If so I think we can convert the template into a script step so you don’t have to update all of the references to that template.

Cheers,
Shane

Hi, Shane!

Yes, i think our template will work if it will be converted, how can we start converting process?
Thank you for the information, we ll be waiting for pools scoped to environment feature.

Kind regards,
Alexander Yuzhanin

Hi Alexander,

Would it be possible to get an export of your step template? You can email it to support@octopus.com if privacy is a concern.

I’ll work on writing a script to convert the package step to a script step.

Cheers,
Shane

Hi, Shane!

I have sent e-mail to support@octopus.com with exported step template in attachment.

Kind regards,
Alexander Yuzhanin

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.