Runbook vs Deployment task priority

Are runbooks supposed to be queued together with deployments?

We sometimes having very long queues of deployments, meanwhile we have runbooks that are scheduled by triggers(for example a runbook runs every 5 minute).

This causes the scheduled runbooks not to be run almost immediate, instead after all deployments have finished.

We are almost sure that runbooks “passed” the queue of deployments when running v2021.1, but now when running v2021.3(8275) the runbooks are queued after deployments.

Hi @anders.sjolander,

Welcome back to the Octopus support forum. I’m sorry to see you’re having issues with queued Runbook tasks. Unfortunately, at this time all tasks are treated the same in regards to priority so what you are seeing is to be expected. Octopus doesn’t differentiate between tasks submitted from a project’s process step vs. a Runbook. There are a few options that may help you reduce this bottleneck.

Depending on your current Octopus server resources and configuration you could look into increasing your task cap. You may have already taken this into consideration, but I just wanted to mention it in case it’s an option.

You could also reprioritize the tasks in your queue using this step template from our library, or we also have this script available in GitHub that will do the same thing via the Octopus API. The big consideration here is that as part of the reprioritization both options will cancel currently running tasks and then kick them off again once there is task space available. That may not be ideal depending on what you are deploying.

Let me know what you think of these options or if you have any other questions for me.

Thanks!
Dan

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.