RunBook and deployment release deletions

Hi,

I setup a project whose main function is to be for runbooks, letting a team restart windows services, IIS app pools etc. This worked well until a dev created a deployment release by mistake, rather than a snapshot of a runbook. Having subsequently deleted that release, we get the error:

The resource ‘variableset-Projects-1492-s-0-BC4PD’ was not found.

which seems to be because the variables sets are grouped to projects/releases. To get round this, I had to clone the runbooks to be able to then use the clone for services restarts etc.

Does this therefore mean that projects with runbooks should not have releases deleted?

I also would like to know whether runbooks can be permissioned separately from deployments (e.g. Devs can use runbooks in PROD, but only deploy in pre-PROD), but perhaps that should be a separate ticket/question?

Thanks

Hi John,

Thanks for getting in touch! That’s certainly not the correct behavior here, and sorry to hear you’re getting hit by this. I haven’t had any luck reproducing this issue locally running latest, however, but looking through our release notes it looks very much like a previous known and since fixed bug in 2019.13.1 which you can reference below.

Which version of Octopus are you currently running? If applicable, does upgrading past 2019.13.1 resolve this? In addition, another workaround listed in that issue might be to “Create a new runbook snapshot (by running your runbook fresh) and a new variable set will be created and referenced correctly.”

Let me know how you go!

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.