Run an AzureRM powershell script on a tentacle

My company has an azure key vault and I need to get a certificate from the key vault and save it as a pfx file in a specific folder. The step template for installing a certificate works as expected but I don’t actually need to install the cert, rather just extract it. I have a powershell script that can do this and was hoping I could do this via the “Run an azure powershell script” step but if i understand correctly that runs only on the octopus server rather than the tentacle. Is there a way to run a ps script that uses AzureRM but that doesn’t require putting credentials in the deployment process?

Hi Adam,

Thanks for getting in touch!

You are correct that our Azure steps are currently executed via the built in run on server worker. What you may not know is that this role can be assigned to an arbitrary Tentacle, via external workers. This may not be very useful to you at this stage as that would then require all of your run on server steps to be run via that Tentacle, it’s not possible to split the workload.

However, we have the next version of this concept currently in development and scheduled for release as part of Octopus 2018.6 in June. This is what we are calling worker pools, and will allow you to assign a Tentacle (or a group of Tentacles) to run specific tasks. What this means for you is that you could have a Tentacle (or Tentacles) running in your Azure environment which could be assigned to run your Azure tasks separately from your other run on server tasks.

I hope that this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions!

Regards,
Alex

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.