Run a docker container locally

Hi,

Is it possible, as one of the deployment steps, to run a docker container locally on the octopus server itself, instead of running it on a deployment target? I couldn’t find a deployment step that does this. The current “Run a Docker container” step only runs on the deployment target.

Hi @hrantian,

Thanks for getting in touch! It’s not possible to run a Docker container directly against the Octopus server, the best method we have for doing this would be to install a Tentacle instance on the Octopus server and deploy to that.

We have just released a new feature for Self-Hosted Octopus. Execution containers for workers. This feature is not currently available for Cloud hosted instances though, we need to do some more work for the cloud workers to be able to support this.

If you are running a Self-Hosted Octopus instance, you could possible benefit from the execution containers for workers.

Our developers are curious about your requirements here. If you could provide some details about your needs for running a docker container locally, we may be able to provide some other ideas or simply provide use cases for features we are developing in this area.

Let me know what you think here.

If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately, I’m using the Octopus Cloud environment, but the new feature would be exactly what I need.

I’m trying to get Octopus to build a VM image using Packer, and publish it to Azure. I currently have it integrated with GitlabCI, where Gitlab runs a docker container on each commit to create, version, and publish it to Azure using Packer. But I’d rather have Octopus do it, since it’s a more logical place to do so and I could use the Octopus features such as variable replacements for different environments.

Hi @hrantian,

Thanks for the update here! And thanks for providing some further information on your requirements.

The feature will be available on Cloud in the future, though as I mentioned, we have some work to do before we can make that happen.

If you have any further thoughts or questions here, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi @Daniel_Fischer,

I understand. Looking forward to the update!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.