Renci.SshNet found from .NET GAC before the private version is found

Windows appears to be shipping Renci.SshNet with .NET now in the following directory C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Renci.SshNet\v4.0_2016.1.0.0__1cee9f8bde3db106\Renci.SshNet.dll. The verison they ship is 2016.1.0 and the version octopus ships is 2016.1.0-beta4. This causes a missing method exception when Octopus tries to create the SSH connection. Is there anything we can do about this? We are on version 2018.6.15 of Octopus.

Hi Max,
Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear you running into this issue.

As of Octopus Server v2020.5.3, we’re using 2017.0.0-beta1. We did a little digging and didn’t find C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Renci.SshNet on Server 2019 with .NET 4.8 installed.

If possible, could you send the raw task log with the missing method exception to our secure email Support@octopus.com?

Kind Regards,
Tina

1 Like

I sent the task log in an email, thank you.

Hi Max,

Thanks for the logs, I can confirm that we have received them. I’ve raised the issue with our engineering team and should hopefully have a better answer for you shortly.

Regards,
Alex

Hi Max,

I’ve done some investigating with the engineers and we have come up with two potential options.

The first (and easiest) is to upgrade to Octopus 2020.1.0 or newer, as from that version forward we no longer rely on the GAC to provide the DLL’s so we will no longer run into collisions like you are experiencing. Looking at your license that latest version you can install without renewing is Octopus 2020.2.20, which is what I would recommend.

We have documentation around upgrading available, I would recommend reading thoroughly before running the upgrade as we have recommendations around backups and testing.

The other alternative is to remove the 2016.1.0 version of the Renci.SSHNet dll file, however, we aren’t sure what placed the file in the GAC and if this will cause other downstream problems with other applications. Proceed with caution if this is the approach you decide to take.

If you have any other questions please let us know, we would be more than happy to help!

Regards,
Alex

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.