Remote Octopus Deployment Server

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if the below is possible with Octopus Deploy 2.0.

Our environment is spread across multiple physical locations.

For example purposes, lets say that we have our Dev/UAT/Staging environment in NY and our Production in CA. Is it possible to have a deploy server in NY, that deploys to Dev/UAT/Staging tentacles and to the deploy server in CA. Then when ready we deploy from the Octopus server in CA to the tentacles in CA.

I guess the question is can we have multiple deployment servers that communicate with each other.

The goal is to lower our WAN connections and the # of tentacles that the deploy server communicates with over our WAN.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for getting in touch! Currently the only way for you to ‘share’ projects between Octopus Servers is it make use of the Import/Export feature.

Octopus Servers are not really designed to talk to each other, just to Tentacles, but some people make sure of this feature to run scenarios like you have described or when they have a private network they need to release to.

Hope this helps!
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Is there any way to accomplish some level of automation for the import/export via REST API? If so, do you know of any examples that you could point us to?

Regards, Rob

How do I edit my previous post to remove my signature? If it cannot be edited can you just delete it and respond to the question below.

Hi Vanessa,

Is there any way to accomplish some level of automation for the import/export via REST API? If so, do you know of any examples that you could point us to?

Regards, Rob

Hi Robert,

I deleted your signature for you, we do this when we see it happen due to as you said, the public nature of the forums.

The import/export does work through the API. As for giving you an example. I can point you directly to the code we use in Octo.exe as it’s open source so you can use it’s example.
https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Octopus-Tools/blob/master/source/OctopusTools/Exporters/ProjectExporter.cs#L25
https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Octopus-Tools/blob/master/source/OctopusTools/Importers/ProjectImporter.cs#L27

Hope this helps!
Vanessa