Release page takes too long to load

Release page for a certain project takes around a minute to load. I have created the HAR file, if you mind creating a sharable link, I could upload there

Good morning @Naman.Kumar,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support and sorry to hear a release page for a certain project is taking a long time to load.

I have created you a link to our secure files site here where you can upload the file to, let me know once it has been uploaded and I can take a look for you.

Has the release page always been slow to load or have you upgraded Octopus recently, if you have upgraded Octopus what version were you previously on?

I look forward to hearing from you, hopefully the HAR file shows us some information we can work on.

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hey, the release page has been slow always for this particular project but lately after the upgrade from 2022.3 to 2023.1 it seems to be worse than ever.

PS: I have updated the HAR file for your reference

Hey @Naman.Kumar,

Thanks for uploading that HAR file, taking a look now I can see its taking:

• 4 seconds to load all the variables for that release, which accounts for variable scoping so loads all the machines and variable sets applicable to that release, it looks like you have a lot of deployment targets on your instance.
  • And about 60 seconds in total to load all the packages that are required for that release (that is taking up the bulk of the time here).

How many packages do you have, there looks to be around 10 and the HAR file shows this is for a specific release - Release 605875 (2.1.109999-S637) - is this correct?

It looks to be quite a complex deployment with a few steps too (I count 30 odd?) and you are running 2023.1.9788 which is quite a new Octopus version.

So just to make sure I have this right, is the page slow to load when you click on that specific release, does the release overview page load fine?

I can see you have release notes for those packages and we do have some ongoing issues with those:

We are currently looking to improve the way we handle build data for packages but those two GitHub issues might be contributing to the slow page load for that release.

If you can confirm all of my queries above I can get this sent to our engineers who can take a look at this for you and confirm if it is the build information in those packages that is slowing that page down.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Kind Regards,
Clare

A release for this project can contain upto 26 packages, the HAR file could be showing less since the rest get into collapsed list until “load more / load all” is clicked. These are then deployed in separate steps in the process. Total enabled steps that run on lower environments is ~60 and ~70 for higher environments.

Furthermore:

1. app#/Spaces-1/projects//deployments/releases loads just fine
  2. app#/Spaces-1/projects//deployments/releases/ is freakishly slow

Let me know If any other queries

Hey @Naman.Kumar,

Thanks for the additional information, do you have release notes attached to those packages? I think I can see they do have them in the HAR file but I just wanted to make sure.

I also noted you mentioned the release page URLs and one was slow and the other was not, but they are the same URL, is that a typo or did you mean if you click into any release on the releases page of a project it is slow?

I will get your HAR file to our engineers, to cover all bases here would you also be able to provide us with your Octopus server log in case our engineers need it? You can upload it using the same secure link I gave you earlier.

Once I get that I will send it to our engineers who can take a look for you, they are based in Australia and so have gone for their weekend but I should be able to update you on Monday with some information.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Kind Regards,
Clare

Hey @Naman.Kumar,

I have an update for you this morning as our engineers took a look at your HAR file and they do agree with me this seems to be an issue with Octopus pre-loading the release notes for those packages which is why its taking so long for that page to load.

This is a regression from a previous release (2022.3.5488) as the UI used to load while it’s fetching the package notes with a “Loading…” message whereas now it doesn’t render the page until the package notes are loaded.

The engineers are not happy with the new behaviour and are looking to change it back to the way it used to work or improve the way it works now so it does not take so long to load that page if there are release notes in packages associated with a release.

They did want to confirm what type of feed your packages are coming from ie is it Nuget v2 or V3?

I will keep you updated on their progress for the fix, thank you for raising this as ensuring package notes don’t stall the loading of the releases page is something that will benefit a lot of other customers!

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hey @Naman.Kumar,

Just to let you know a GitHub issue has been raised for this so if you subscribe to that you will be notified when a fix is out!

Let me know if you need anything else in the meantime as we are always on hand to help!

Kind Regards,
Clare

Thanks. Although for your earlier question, most packages are NugetV3

Hey @Naman.Kumar,

Thanks for responding and confirming your packages are mostly Nuget V3, I have passed that information onto the engineers.

I can also see that GitHub issue has been closed and the fix is out in 2023.2.11412.

Whilst 2023.2 has not been released for our On-Premise customers just yet, it will be coming soon (I do not have a release date for you unfortunately).

Keep checking on our downloads page though and you will see when 2023.2 is out.

Kind Regards and Happy Deployments,
Clare

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.