Release Notes Breaks Deploy Log Page

No worries.

Is this something from the step, or an octopus conversion itself?

Hi @Zoren_Manteuffel,

I finally got to the bottom of this, it looks to be an issue with the step, specifically how it’s converting to JSON.

I’ve managed to resolve it by adding the -Depth flag to the ConvertTo-Json command, could you please let me know if that fixes it for you too?

$currentReleaseBody = $currentRelease | ConvertTo-Json -Depth 10

If so I’ll get the StepTemplate updated to include this parameter, looking forward to hearing how you get on!

Best Regards,

I’ll update it today and let you know sometime next week if it works.

1 Like

This seems to fix it. I have one last question about all of this.

I currently run this step for production. I notice that despite there being updated release notes that when i use the slack step that posts the release notes that it uses the release notes as we had them before any modifications. Is there a command i can add to this step that refreshes what’s in memory during the same deploy action? Right now the only thing I can think of is moving this step to execute after a previous environment, like Staging. Once it completes I have this freshly grab the data from release notes when we do a prod step.

Hi @Zoren_Manteuffel,

Cheers for the update, that’s great to hear!

Unfortunately you won’t be able to edit a deployment mid-flight as it is intended to be static. Instead I would recommend saving the contents to an Output Variable so that it’s available to another step later in the process.

Add the following to the step template script:

Set-OctopusVariable -name "ReleaseNotes" -value $aggregateNotesText 

And then you should be able to access that variable later in your slack step via:

#{Octopus.Action[Consolidate Release Notes].Output.ReleaseNotes}

Let me know if you have any questions or run into any issues with it!

Best Regards,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.