Registering a machine multiple times with different display names

I recently ran across 2 machines in an environment that were the same machine (IP and thumbprint matched, listening tentacle).
They had different display names (i.e. machine1-prod and machine1-test)
They had different roles (i.e. machine1-prod had ProdDeploy role, and machine1-test had TestDeploy role)

Not sure if someone did this by accident, but I cannot find anything in the documentation or in discussions that support this configuration. I was able to duplicate this by picking a machine, and going thru the “Add deployment target” wizard, and just added a different display name.

Is this possible, or will it cause issues?

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! I imagine this setup you’ve described was done on purpose. Having multiple configured instances on a single server is definitely possible, and a scenario we support, and recommend in certain scenarios. We have a documentation page on managing multiple instances that covers the process of set up and management.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.