Register As A Specific Name Azure Extension

We using the Set-AzVMExtension to run the OctopusDeployWindowsTentacle when we have a VM come online.

The problem we can not always control the VM hostname.

Is there anyway to pass the hostname to the extension method so it gets set when the extension runs? I know this is possible using the tentacle.exe, I am just not seeing the option from the vm extension.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for getting in touch! If I understand correctly, you can set the VM’s hostname by defining the "CustomPublicHostName" attribute within your publicSettings.json file. We have an example of this in the following doc page.

And we have an overview of this process in general at this doc page.

I hope this helps! Let me know how you go or if you have any further questions going forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Oh, my understanding is that the CustomPublicHostName was to set the public address of the machine. In our case, we need this to be the internal ip of the machine. We then need to have the name of the machine (as it shows in octopus) be what we set it to

Can you confirm my above assertion is true, that CustomPublicHostName is for the public address?

And if so, how can I set the machine name?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.