Regenerate Azure Certificate

I’m trying to regenerate the Azure management certificate from the Octopus web UI but clicking on the “Generate New” button appears to do nothing. I’ve also run the command line with better results (as Local System user since that is how my Octopus service runs) :

Octopus.Server.exe -regenerate-certificate --octopus-azure

The command line seems to actually work but it does not place the certificate in the store on my server. I can place it there manually but if I do it does not have the private key and I cannot find a way to get the cert with the private key out of Octopus.

So, my uploads to Azure still fail with the following:
Get-AzureWebsite : ForbiddenError: The server failed to authenticate the request. Verify that the certificate is valid and is associated with this subscription.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong

I was able to solve this by:

1. Deleting the old Azure certificates from the certificate store for the SYSTEM account
  2. Removing all files found at: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Windows Azure Powershell
  3. Running the command line to regenerate the Azure certificate
  4. Restarting the Windows server.
  5. Creating a new release package to deploy to Azure.

I would still like to know if the “Generate New” button on the web interface is supposed to do the same thing as the command line. It appears to do nothing.

Hi Page,

I am glad you were able to resolve this, and I’m sorry for the delay in a response.
We were tracking down the “Generate New” button. Turns out the code it was attached to was removed, but the button itself wasn’t.
I am going to open a ticket to deal with this.

The process you ended up following was perfect, generating the certificate via command line then restarting were the key parts.

Vanessa