Refresh variables during a deployment

I would like to be able to update the value of a variable during a deployment. I know I can do this before the deployment starts by manually editing the release - is there any way to do this non-interactively while the release is being deployed?

Hi Richard,

Thanks for reaching out! I’m afraid there’s no way to do that once the deployment started. Would you mind walking be through your scenario so I can understand why this is neeed? Perhaps there’s another way to achieve something similar.

Regards,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been away from the desk for a while. Our scenario is this:

We have a variable that contains a reference to “Octopus.Release.Notes”. I have implemented the “Consolidate Release Notes” step task as well as my own way of posting this information to Microsoft Teams (via a home-grown PowerShell script), but as the value of the variable is set at release creation time the post to Teams obviously does not contain the updated value.

I know I can modify the PowerShell script that posts to Teams to evaluate the variable at deploy time rather than using a variable, but I was hoping that there was an easier way…

Hi Richard,

No worries about the delay! I believe that modifying the script to do that would be the only way. Sorry for the bad news

Dalmiro