Read-Host for credentials

I know this has been asked before, but my situation is a little different. I don’t want to (or am not currently allowed to) store DB Creator credentials in Octopus. This is because our DBA’s want to have full control over their rollbacks, and don’t quite trust DevOps just yet.

What we want to do is have a few steps execute on failure

1. Email a team of DBA’s stating that a deployment has failed, and that they need to enter DB Creator credentials in order for the rollback to proceed. The email will contain a link to the spot where they enter their creds.
  2. Execute a script whereby at the top, we do a Read-Host and await the DBA to enter the creds.
  3. Once credentials are inserted, we continue with the script, executing a rollback under the DBA’s credentials.

This is sort of an “enhanced” Manual Intervention Step.

Is this possible?

Hi Chase,

Thanks for getting in touch! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am going to answer both or your tickets in here as they are very similar.
We played around with how failure and manual intervention works.
While you can setup steps to run on failure, you then could not have any other conditionals. We just don’t have any more states in the deployment process.
You could something very complex with self defined variables on predefined states if a failure is detected, it would be pretty messy and hard to maintain.

I found a couple of UV suggestions that might help in this case, but maybe your own suggestion like ‘if step x fails conditional’ or something similar would help.

Sorry it isn’t better news.
Vanessa