RavenDB throws 403 Forbidden When Accessed From Remote

Hi,

I’ve reviewed the documentation and prior discussions for accessing the Octopus RavenDB instance on the Octopus host. In fact, we have it working in one network environment. However, in a different network environment, where Octopus is installed and configured the same way (using Windows authentication), RavenDB throws a 403 Forbidden exception when accessed from a remote computer on the same domain. I’m entering an account local to the Octopus host; the account is in the Octopus host local administrators group. The RavenDB will not connect online. I’m using the exact approach that works successfully in the other network environment.

Here’s the exception message:
Server sent:
at Raven.Studio.Infrastructure.InvocationExtensions.Catch(Task parent, Func2 func) at Raven.Studio.Infrastructure.InvocationExtensions.Catch(Task parent, Action1 action)
at Raven.Studio.Infrastructure.InvocationExtensions.Catch(Task parent)
at Raven.Studio.Models.ServerModel.DisplayLicenseStatus()
at Raven.Studio.Models.ServerModel.Initialize()
at Raven.Studio.Models.ServerModel…ctor(String url)
at Raven.Studio.Models.ServerModel…ctor()
at Raven.Studio.Models.ApplicationModel…ctor()
at Raven.Studio.Models.ApplicationModel…cctor()
at Raven.Studio.Models.DatabaseSelectionModel…ctor()
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
at MS.Internal.XamlManagedRuntimeRPInvokes.CreateInstance(XamlTypeToken inXamlType, XamlQualifiedObject& newObject)
at MS.Internal.XcpImports.Application_LoadComponentNative(IntPtr pContext, IntPtr pComponent, UInt32 cUriStringLength, String uriString, UInt32 cXamlStrLength, Byte* pXamlStr, UInt32 cAssemblyStrLength, String assemblyStr)
at MS.Internal.XcpImports.Application_LoadComponent(IManagedPeerBase componentAsDO, String resourceLocator, UnmanagedMemoryStream stream, UInt32 numBytesToRead, String assemblyString)
at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(Object component, Uri resourceLocator)
at Raven.Studio.Features.Databases.DatabaseSelectionView.InitializeComponent()
at Raven.Studio.Features.Databases.DatabaseSelectionView…ctor()
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
at MS.Internal.XamlManagedRuntimeRPInvokes.CreateInstance(XamlTypeToken inXamlType, XamlQualifiedObject& newObject)
at MS.Internal.XcpImports.Application_LoadComponentNative(IntPtr pContext, IntPtr pComponent, UInt32 cUriStringLength, String uriString, UInt32 cXamlStrLength, Byte* pXamlStr, UInt32 cAssemblyStrLength, String assemblyStr)
at MS.Internal.XcpImports.Application_LoadComponent(IManagedPeerBase componentAsDO, String resourceLocator, UnmanagedMemoryStream stream, UInt32 numBytesToRead, String assemblyString)
at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(Object component, Uri resourceLocator)
at Raven.Studio.MainPage.InitializeComponent()
at Raven.Studio.App.Application_Startup(Object sender, StartupEventArgs e)
at MS.Internal.CoreInvokeHandler.InvokeEventHandler(UInt32 typeIndex, Delegate handlerDelegate, Object sender, Object args)
at MS.Internal.JoltHelper.FireEvent(IntPtr unmanagedObj, IntPtr unmanagedObjArgs, Int32 argsTypeIndex, Int32 actualArgsTypeIndex, String eventName, UInt32 flags)

Client side exception:
System.Net.WebException: [HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer]
Arguments: NotFound
Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&Version=5.1.40416.0&File=System.Windows.dll&Key=HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer
at System.Net.Browser.ClientHttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Func2.Invoke(T arg) at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func2 endFunction, Action1 endAction, Task`1 promise)

Hi Bob,

Thanks for getting in touch! Very sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I am reading “I’m entering an account local to the Octopus host; the account is in the Octopus host local administrators group” two ways. If the first way I am reading it is correct (that you are using an account registered in the Octopus that is local to the DB) then the following is what you need to do:
The credentials that you need to provide here are not your Octopus credentials. You need to authenticate as a Windows user that is assigned to the local Administrators group on the Octopus server (e.g., the Administrator account on the machine).

Otherwise I can interpret that is what you are already doing when you refer to ‘Octopus Host’ as a machine user not an Octopus instance user.
If you could confirm and let me know if this resolves your issue, or if I have interpreted your words incorrectly.
Vanessa