Questions about making deployment package

Hi,

I installed latest copy to do a POC. During following the video to make a package I get few questions.

1. I am trying to deploy several web applications and web API service to many server. Our current way is using VS Publish Web to make ZIP file then use “msdeploy.exe” deploy it. But Octopus Deploy only support NuGet, is that true? I am not sure if Octopus Deploy can deploy MS package as well.
  2. I was following video “Creating packages manually (and deploying them)” to play around, but some how in the configuration page, I cannot find a “NuGet” tab to setup the NuGet Feeds. Did I miss something?

Thanks

Lu

Hi Lu,

Thanks for reaching out! While we used to just support NuGet package types, we have since added support for Zip and Tar package types in Octopus 3.3.

Because of the expanded support to those package types, the tab has been renamed “External feeds” which is in the Library page. Sorry about the confusion there! Could you send me the link to the video that mentions ‘NuGet tab’ please? We’d like to update it to ensure our documentation is current.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for your reply. The video is :

[cid:image003.jpg@01D20F2D.5C6BF690]
BTW, I was trying to upload zip or NuGet package. I need to click button “Upload” twice, then it will take forever and nothing be uploaded. Any idea?
[cid:image004.jpg@01D20F2D.5C6BF690]

Lu Xin
Applications Analyst
IT Applications Section
Edmonton Police Service
Office: (780) 391-4257
Email: lu.xin@edmontonpolice.camailto:lu.xin@edmontonpolice.ca

image003.jpg

Hi Lu,

Thanks so much again for bringing that to our attention! As far as your upload hanging goes, it looks possible that it could be an issue with Internet Explorer. What exact version are you using? Are you getting any console errors while trying to upload?

Kind regards,

Kenny

That’s what I get
[cid:image001.png@01D21038.25765250]

[cid:image002.png@01D21038.25765250]

Lu Xin

image002.png

Hi Lu,

Thanks for that extra info! I wasn’t able to replicate what you’re seeing when uploading NuGet and Zip packages.

Are you able to expand that error you see at all?
Are you using any plugins in Internet Explorer?
Can you confirm that the upload works in another browser, like Chrome or Firefox?

Kind regards,

Kenny

Thanks Kenny,

It works in Chrome. After I select package file, I only need to click “Upload” button one time, and the file be uploaded. The following add ons are installed in IE. I will leave this issue, and keep doing my POC in Chrome though.

[cid:image001.png@01D21351.E8D3A970]

Lu Xin
Applications Analyst
IT Applications Section
Edmonton Police Service
Office: (780) 391-4257
Email: lu.xin@edmontonpolice.camailto:lu.xin@edmontonpolice.ca