Pushing a package with Octo.exe

Hi,

i am having issues pushig a package with Octo.exe.

My issue is that when Octo.exe is creating a zip package to be sent to Octopus, it adds to the name the version from AssemblyFile.cs looking like this: Package.2017.1.9.10225. Every time a new build is made, let’s say the next day, the package version will look like: Package.2017.1.10.12012.

Can you tell me how i can tell octo.exe to push the last package in the output folder without adding the version?

octo.exe push --package Package.* (will this work?) - i receive an error using an asterix.

Thanks.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for reaching out! Octo.exe push needs you to literally tell him exactly which package file you want to push. There’s no way for it to figure out you want to push the latest package.

The way we recommend this to be used in a build process goes like this:

1. Build your app from

2. Use Octo.exe pack with the --version parameter to tell the command exactly which version number you want to give to your package. Using Dates and Assembly info is usually not recomended here. Instead we recommend you to use a variable from your build that references the build number, so you end up with something like 1.0.0 which is usually more readable than 2017.1.10.12012. In TFS for example that variable would be $(Build.buildnumber), and in TeamCity is %build.number%.

3. Use that same build number variable to the build the full name of the package you want to push using Octo.exe push.

Hope that helps,
Dalmiro

Hi,

Thanks,

I will give it a try tomorrow morning once I get to the office.

Alex

Alright,

this might not work with the Habitat Sitecore version 8.2 as the
build/deploy is done entirely by gulp, but i had to split this between
Jenkins and Octopus in order to build and deploy (this is the proof of
concept i have to achieve).

My build is using jenkins and gulp to create the package, powershell to
take the sitecore items from the code and inserted it in the Unicorn folder
in order to be serialized by Unicorn later in the deploy process.

Octo.exe comes here as the step where the zip is already done by octo.exe
with “octo pack --package”.

The version you said in AssemblyFile.cs 1.0.0 might change in the future,
let’s say when a developer makes a local build with Visual Studio and
increments the third number, thus becoming 1.0.1.$BUILD_NUMBER.

How can i tell octo.exe about the 1 in the third place that it has changed?

Can i use something else to push (publish) the package in Octopus? I am
opened to alternatives. Anything that works, i am happy with it.

Thanks.

Hi Alex,

Whatever tool you use to push the package to a repository is going to need the full name of the file you want to push. If you are creating the packages with the name [PackageId].[AssemblyVersion.[BuildId].Nupkg, you could use something like this: https://gist.github.com/Dalmirog/879be7d99bbc657a2dfb0b215f1c5780

It’ll look for a package that ends in .[BuildID].nupkg and push it using Octo.exe

Let me know if that works,
Dalmiro