Prompted Variables Scoped to Channels

Currently, prompted variables can only be scoped to Environments. I’ve found the following uservoice:

I understand the reasoning behind the above being a uservoice; it would require an overhaul of when to prompt for variables, as machines / roles / steps are conditional, whereas an environment can be determined prior to gathering the DeploymentProcess json.

However, I feel the big one missing here is Channels. A channel is already determined as part of the release, and it seems like a pretty common use for variables to differ between channels.

I know the Octopus team has an emphasis on uservoice for 2017, but given how few votes the above has, it clearly won’t make the cut. Is there any chance that this might be squeezed in as something overlooked? Seems like a (relatively) simple change, since unlike the other categories it doesn’t require re-writing when to prompt.

Probably a long shot, just thought I’d ask as it seems the uservoice is from prior to channels existing.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you here. I ran this past our developers to get their thoughts. Unfortunately, it does not look like a small or quick change if we were to do this.

It looks like the best option currently would be to comment on the UserVoice with your thoughts regarding channels and to vote.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hey Daniel,

No worries, I figured it was a long shot. Thanks for asking!

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back! No worries, feel free to get in touch at any time. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel