Promotion Workflow

This question was asked in June 2013 (http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/suggestions/822-promotion-workflow), but comments are closed on that thread so I am starting this new one.

We would like to enforce a rule whereby a release could only be promoted to production if it has previously been deployed to the test environment. This is to prevent accidental deployment of an untested release.

Are there any plans to support such a workflow in Octopus?

Hi Richard,

There are and it’s one of the features we’ll be working on this year (probably around April).

Paul

Hi Richard,

There are and it’s one of the features we’ll be working on this year (probably around April).

Paul

Thanks Paul, we’ll be looking forward to it!

I’ve looked around, but haven’t seen anything more about this. Is there any word on this feature?

Hi,

We released this feature on v 2.6 under the name of “Lifecycles”. This will allow you to set a path of environments where you will not be able to deploy to one of them until that build was previously deployed successfully to a lower environment. Here’s our documentation about it:

Thanks!

Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

I saw this in the release notes - excellent news! I’m hoping to work with my sys admin guy this week to upgrade us to 2.6 so will be looking forward to using the new feature.

regards,

Richard